June 20, 2014

Paying it Forward Blog Hop

I was tagged by E.E. Giorgi, author of CHIMERAS, for the Paying it Forward blog hop created by F.C. Etier. I have to answer four questions and then tag three authors who will do the same.

*This post will reveal things I haven't shared yet about my writing. Are you ready?


Here are the questions and my answers:

1. What am I working on?

The sequel to my short story ebook, Hurricane Crimes. One reader asked me when the sequel would come out and a reviewer mentioned wanting to read a novel. At the time I thought, you're nuts! But then I realized there was a lot I didn't mention at the end of Hurricane Crimes, and that I could do far more. That thought sealed my decision to write not just a sequel but a series. Yes, a series!


2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?

There are countless romantic-suspense stories, and several take place during a storm or hurricane, but not many authors have used natural disasters as a continuing theme in their books as I plan to do. Not only that, but on top of the disasters there will also be crimes of nearly every kind, which is why my collection of books will be known as the Disaster Crime series.


3. Why do I write what I write?

I don't feel like I have a choice. I do it because I love it, and also because the characters sharing brain space with me demand it. Romance is always a sub-genre in all of my stories, and I can't get enough action and suspense in the books I read or the movies I write, so writing romantic-suspense was a no-brainer. I write in other genres as well, such as supernatural and science fiction. Supernatural is the genre that actually started me out on this crazy and wonderful writing journey.


4. How does my writing process work?

A lot of my stories usually start with an idea that manifests as a dream. The characters, who are destined to be part of that story, emerge soon after. Then, if I'm not working on something else, I begin writing and I don't stop until I type "The End" at the bottom of the manuscript.


A big thanks to F.C. Etier for creating this blog hop and for E.E. Giorgi for thinking of me. :) I'm tagging Dylan NewtonCrystal Collier, and Loni Townsend! Follow their blogs so you can catch their Paying it Forward posts. :)


32 comments:

  1. A disaster crime series - I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! The fact you like it, Alex, makes me feel good about my idea. :D

      Delete
  2. Very smart.
    I think you're onto something with this concept. I like the sound of a Disaster Crime Series.
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so, Michelle, and that you like the sound of my series. :)

      Delete
  3. Do it because you love it is the way to be, makes them all that much more better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of using natural disasters as a continuing theme. So awesome Chrys. Have a great weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm happy you like the idea. I hope you have a great weekend, too. :)

      Delete
  5. Most of my ideas came from dreams, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was fun to read! I don't remember my dreams well enough to build stories off of them, so I think that's pretty cool. And I agree with the others, Disaster Crime Series sounds like a great title.

    Thanks for tagging me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I surprisingly can remember a lot from my dreams. It great as a writer, but since my dreams are so vivid and they occur every night, it's not so great as a sleeper.

      You're welcome, Loni! I can't wait to learn more about your work. :)

      Delete
  7. Yay for a series! And I think your idea of a disaster crime series is excellent. Enjoyed learning more about your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I'm so thrilled that the idea for my series is being received so well. :D

      Delete
  8. Love your answer to question 3 - "because I don't have a choice." I can relate to that, Chrys. Like the concept of your series too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really feel like I don't have a choice. But I'm glad I don't. ;)

      Delete
  9. I love when ideas come to me in dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dreams stink. I need to write down my wifes dreams. She always wakes me up and tells me when she has a wacky, ot bad dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could definitely use your wife's dreams as inspiration for stories. :)

      Delete
  11. Very cool, Chrys. Dreams are a great inspiration because they can be so strange. Good for you on writing until you can write 'the end'. I get stuck and then start something new, not a good habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I get stuck too, and work on something for a little while to let my brain rejuvenate, but I always go back to my main project.

      Delete
  12. Survivor of hurricane Katrina here. No dream -- it was a nightmare.
    If Katrina finds her way into one of your stories and you want some inside info, I'm your man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Hurricane Crimes wasn't inspired by a dream. It was inspired by real life. I live in Florida, so I've experienced many hurricanes. I fashioned the hurricane in Hurricane Crimes after Frances from 2004.

      Thank you for commenting! :D

      Delete
  13. Thanks for posting, Chrys! So cool that you get your inspiration from dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a lot of inspiration from my dreams, but many pop into my head randomly, too. :)

      Delete
  14. Fun stuff.

    Wow, I need to be as creative as you with my dreams. Unfortunately, my dreams are usually about taking a test that I have not studied for or forgetting to wear my shoes to work or something really stupid like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to have those stupid dreams too. A lot of the time, I'm back in high school. I hate that!

      Delete
  15. Sounds really interesting, Chrys. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the idea of a disaster crime series, too. Best of luck writing them, Chrys!

    ReplyDelete