September 21, 2012

Writing Quotes


Quotes are a great way to find inspiration, wisdom, and motivation so I wanted to share some of my favorite quotes on writing. I hope they bring you insight as they have brought me.
"If you go deep enough in writing, it will take you everyplace." -Dainin Katagiri Roshi

“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” -Anton Chekhov

“You must not write about what people like, but you must write so well that people will like what you write.” -Unknown
“Anyone who survived childhood has enough material to write for the rest of his or her life.” -Flannery O’Connor

"To write what is worth publishing, to find honest people to publish it, and get sensible people to read it, are the three great difficulties in being an author." -Charles Caleb Colton


"It is impossible to discourage the real writers - they don't give a damn what you say, they're going to write."  -Sinclair Lewis


“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” -William Wordsworth
“Of course, there will always be more you could do, but you have to remind yourself that perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor.” -Anne Lamott

“If every time you sat down, you expected something great, writing would always be a great disappointment.” –Natalie Goldberg


“Creativity comes from trust. Trust your instincts and never hope more than you work.” -Rita Mae Brown


“Talent is helpful in writing, but guts are absolutely essential.” -Jessamyn West


“Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.” -Gloria Steinem


“If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it.” -Anais Nin


“If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster.” -Isaac Asimov


"Usually, when people get to the end of a chapter, they close the book and go to sleep. I deliberately write my books so when the reader gets to the end of a chapter, he or she must turn one more page. When people tell me I've kept them up all night, I feel like I've succeeded!" -Sidney Sheldon


QUESTION: What is your favorite writing quote?

No comments: